Without further ado...here is the 2013 induction class:
Tommy Brenner (Class of 2005)
- Football captain in 2004, 2-time All-Ohio, 2nd most receiving yards in school history
- Played football on scholarship at Ashland University. Was leading tackler in 2008 as well as All-GLIAC selection
- 18 years as track and football coach at OHS as well as science teacher.
- Head coach of 1999 Boys track team that won a state title. Had 2 runner-up finishes at state as well as a 3rd place finish. Coached numerous state title winners and placers.
- Longtime football defensive coordinator.
- Three year letterwinner in football. 1st team all-state
- Four year letterwinner in basketball. 1996 Div. 2 Player of the Year and State Tournament MVP.
- All-time leading scorer and rebounder in Orrville boys basketball history.
- One of OHS all-time greatest all-around athletes.
- Played in state football final in 1994 and won 2 state titles in basketball.
- All-time leading passer in school football history with over 7,000 career yards
- OCC basketball player of the year
- Record setting QB at Western Michigan University, throwing for over 11,000 career yards.
- Received prestigeous Wuerffel Award in 2009. Given to college athlete who best displays community service, athletic and academic achievement.
- 1995 1st Team All-Ohio & Beacon Journal Football Player of the Year
- 2-time All-Ohio in basketball. 3rd All-time in school history in points scored, 2nd in assists and 5th in rebounds. Feature member of back to back basketball championship teams.
- All-Ohio in track
- Played WR at Youngstown State and was member of 1997 Division I-AA National Championship team.
- 4 year letterwinner in basketball. 1000 career point scorer, 1st team All-Ohio in 1990 and MVP of Wilbur Berkey Classic.
- Played on scholarship at Ashland University where he also scored over 1,000 career points and was co-captain his junior and senior years.
- Total of 11 letters at OHS (3 football, 4 wrestling, 3 baseball, 1 track).
- Team captain at Grove City College where he rushed for 2,700+ yards and 40 career touchdowns.
- Inducted into Grove City College Hall of Fame in 2011.
- Played basketball at OHS
- Graduate of Ohio State
- Total of 30 years coaching college basketball. Head coach for 21 seasons, assistant coach at Indiana and Army. Head coach at Mississippi, Texas, Florida International and South Alabama.
- 7-time conference coach of the year
- Author of the book "Crooked Zebra."
A very solid class if you ask me. Very accomplished while at OHS and beyond. Counting these 8, there are now 98 members of the OHSHOF, dating back to the first class inducted in 1991. A list of prior inductees can be found here.
Once again allow me to remind my readers as to how the process works. First and foremost, the OHSHOF Committee DOES NOT select nominees. Nominations must be submitted by the general public. Committee members cannot nominate anyone either. This is done to preserve the integrity of the organization.
All nominations are voted on and the top 20 vote getters move on to the final voting round. All committee members must then vote for 10 of the 20. Of that top 20, all who receive a majority vote of present committee members (if there are 15 committee members present, a majority would be 8 votes) are selected for induction, with no more than 10 members per class being selected. Inductees must accept the honor and be able to attend an induction ceremony.
There have been alumni who have turned down the honor...and there are deserving alums who have never been nominated. There are some in this years class that have been on the nomination list since 1992 and are just now getting in and some that were just nominated a few years ago.
Success at Orrville is important, but success beyond Orrville is considered as well. The mission of the committee reflects that:
"To select people who have distinguished themselves in one or more sports at Orrville High School, any college or university or other area of amateur and professional athletics or who have made meritorious efforts on behlaf of athletic programs in Orrville, Ohio."
This year's induction will be held on Saturday September 14th at the high school. The induction portion of the evening will take place in the newly renovated auditorium. Very excited for that as it will be the first chance for many to see what I've heard is a beautiful space. Tickets are $25.00 per person and that includes a meal. More information will be forthcoming as we get closer to September.
The committee was again proud to present two $1,000 scholarships to graduating seniors at last week's Senior Assembly. This year's recipients were Kevin Weber and Tatiana Bullard. Funds raised from the induction dinner and the annual golf outing fund these scholarship efforts.
The annual OHSHOF Golf Scramble is in two weeks (June 8th) at Riceland. Cost per player is $40 or $160 per 4-person team. This is our one major fundraiser of the year and helps us continue to provide two $1,000 scholarships to graduating OHS seniors. Click here for an information sheet as well as a hole sponsorship form. Holes can be sponsored by individuals, businesses, graduating classes, etc.