here. Congrats to Jake and Zach.
Ready's Joe Graessle joined Jake on the first team.
Jake was special mention All-Ohio and Zach was honorable mention All-Ohio last season. From where I sit, Zach has really improved his game from last year to this year...and if he was Hon. Mention last year, he at least deserved Special mention this year, possibly even 2nd or 3rd team.
1. Berkey Classic is tonight in Smithville. Congrats to Elle Vierheller, Kaley Aultz and Jessica Workinger, who will represent Orrville on the "away" team.
For the first time in a long time, no Orrville boys will participate...for obvious reasons. I remember when we won state in 1996, the Berkey was held the week after and featured 5 Red Riders (Ray, Denson, Reusser, Irby & McAllister...and all started the game. The county schools hated it, but the many Rider fans who made the trip thought it was pretty cool.
2. The OCC All-star game is being held on Wednesday night, which also means no Orrville players will represent. Too bad, they'll have to mail Jake Bolyard his "shoulda been the OCC player of the year" award for the 2nd straight year.
3. Here's the team info sheet for the Ready game. And here's the one from the other game between Lima Central Catholic and Chesapeake. From what I've seen and read, Lima Central should win easily. Chesapeake looks small.
4. Good article on Zach Wasson in today's (3/22/10) Daily Record. Got to meet Zach after the Newton Falls game, very impressed with him. His play of late has been outstanding, and he's a big reason we're still playing.
5. How about this senior class? They heard a lot of chatter about how they haven't lived up to expectations, but have really delivered as seniors. A regional runner up in football, a state wrestling champion, the girls won the OCC in basketball, and tied for the league in volleyball. Didn't both the boys and girls cross country teams make regionals too? Obviously, there's some underclassmen responsible for some of this success, but glad to see the seniors go out and compete like they have this school year.
6. About Jake being named to the first team All-Ohio. When's the last time a Red Rider made the first team? Maybe all the way back to Marcell Denson? I can't really think of anyone between then and now.
7. Just read the ohio.com article from the win over Newton Falls (I just post the links, I don't actually read them..LOL) and they called Jake Bolyard a junior. Oh how I wish that were the case.
8. Orrville's history at the state tournament is as follows.
1980 - Hamilton Ross def. Orrville (67-57)
1992 - Orrville def. Sparta Highland (68-55); Orrville def. Hamler Patrick Henry (78-65).
1995 - Orrville def. Ontario (68-65, OT); Orrville def. Wheelersburg (79-50).
1996 - Orrvile def. Kettering Alter (65-49); Orrville def. Ottawa-Glandorf (64-63).
So we're 6-1 at the state tournament, and in each win, we scored 64 or more. And only 1 game against a parochial school (Alter) at the state tournament. We'll play at least 1 private school this year, possibly 2 if we win and Lima CC beats Chesapeake.
9. Here's the Division III preview published on JJHuddle. They contacted me (through the blog) for help getting a photo (provided by Mike Guster) and said that Coach Slaughter was very helpful with information in regards to their preview
I've been kind of anti-JJHuddle since their decision to charge $12 a year to read their boards, but anything to help the kids get some exposure (even if my involvement was only giving them Mike Guster's email address for a photo). Exposure at the state level can only help Jake & Zach with their desire to play at the next level.
10. Speaking of playing at the next level....any news on college interested in Zach or Jake. I'm hearing rumblings of Jake playing for Steve Moore at the College of Wooster. Also hearing Joe Besancon deciding to play at Mt. Union. Any truth to either of these?
That's it....on to Wednesday.